Being raised to be a radical feminist, I was taught (okay, it was practically beaten into me) that anything a woman did not make herself look feminine or different from guys was bad. I can remember making fun of women in college for getting manicures. Why groom? I asked. Just bite the damn things off.
Yes, I was that stupid.
Yes, I’ve grown up since then. Since then, in fact, I have discovered five magical things a woman can do to make men notice her and appreciate her, things that would make my former self sick. Things that, I might add, have made me feel a lot better about myself, contrary to the teachings of the radical feminist world of “empowerment” through ugly.
1. Do Your Nails. Or, better yet, get your nails done. Pretty hands and feet tell the world you care about yourself. They also tell a man you enjoy being a woman.
2. Wear your hair long-ish. I know I’ll catch flack for this one, but let’s face it — nothing says feminine more than long hair, at least in this culture. I don’t mean hair hanging down to your butt. I mean pretty hair, kept longer than most men would feel comfortable wearing themselves.
3. Don’t fear the dress. In a world where most of us go around in jeans, it’s nice to embrace the dress. I know it’s not practical for every moment, especially for my awesome cowgirl readership. But there’s something very liberating about putting on a pretty, comfortable dress for a night out, or for just sitting around on the porch in the evenings. Men love us in dresses, too.
4. Embrace heels. I know, some of you hate heels. I love them, and it turns out men do, too. They don’t have to be super high to be super feminine.
5. Play with makeup. I was actually forbidden from wearing makeup as a teen. This might be why I got a job in college working as a makeup girl in a mall. There, I learned a lot of tricks of the trade. I’ve also learned that even when guys say they don’t like makeup, what they really mean is they don’t like obvious makeup. If you do your makeup well, they won’t notice it and they’ll love how you look. Good makeup can enhance anyone’s looks.
So, there it is. My politically incorrect list of the five things I think every woman should do if she’s interested in attracting or keeping a good guy. Bracing for feedback…!